Hurricane Season



Hurricane Season 

Hurricane season runs from June 1st through November 30th.  I have lived in Florida all 34 years of my life and we have had them come and go. I personally think the season is more active on the East Coast, by Palm Beach Gardens, which is where I grew up. Alot more rain and wind, alot more action overall. 
I remember when I was younger we were reckless when it came to the storms. My friends and I would go out and play in the rain (and winds) for hours. Come home soaked. It was awesome. My mom was always prepared "just in case" but I never even let any of the emergency preparation really cross my mind. Now I have children and all of that has changed. I find myself worrying about how much water I have, how much food is available, where the extra batteries and flashlights are, important papers, is there enough gas in the car, etc. 
What would I grab if we had to evacuate?!?! 
All that runs through my mind whenever it starts to get kinda bad here.
So I am trying to be a little prepared, God forbid, something were to happen. We have no real control over losing power or being stuck at home because of flooding or any of that. 

An Emergency Supplies Kit should include: 
- At least a 3 day supply of water. (1 gallon, per person, per day)
- At least a 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- At least, one change of clothing and shoes per person
- First Aid kit 
- Battery-powered NWR and a portable radio
- One blanket or sleeping bag per person
- Extra set of car keys
 - Credit card and cash
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members
- Prescription and non-prescription medicines
- Emergency tools 

A Pet Emergency Supplies Kit should include: 
- Leashes or harnesses. Carries to transport safely
- Medications and medical records
- Food, water, and all bowls and litter (including pan or container)
- Current photos just in case they get lost
- Bed or toys
- Medical records and any medications
- First Aid kit 


The National Hurricane Center has a ton of information and tools available. 

Here are the names of the storms for this year. 

Download the A PREPAREDNESS GUIDE

Few random facts:
The National Weather Service defines a hurricane as "an intense tropical weather system with well-defined circulation and sustained winds of 74 mph (64 knots) or higher."
A hurricane watch indicates the possibility that a region could experience hurricane conditions within 48 hours. 
A hurricane warning indicates that tropical-storm-force winds of at least 74 mph are expected within 36 hours.





Comments

Popular Posts